The Next Step When Your Loved One Dies

PROBATING THE ESTATE IF THERE IS A WILL ADMINISTERING THE ESTATE WHEN THERE IS NO WILL In Alberta, when an individual passes away, all of their financial assets are essentially “frozen” and access to them will only be granted by the affected financial institutions through the process known as probating/administering an estate. If an individual has a valid Will in place, the individual named as the executor is tasked with obtaining a Grant of Probate from the Court. Or when an individual has passed away without a Will, either an individual with an established right to “act” as executor, or the Public Trustee of the Government of Alberta, will be tasked with obtaining a Grant of Administration from the Court. In the case of a Grant of Administration, a formula exists under the laws of the Province of Alberta which helps to determine who can apply for the Grant of... Read more


What Is A Personal Directive (Living Will)?

The Personal Directive (commonly referred to as the Living Will) is a legal document which appoints an individual to make decisions on your behalf with respect to your personal care and medical care... Read more


What Is An Enduring Power Of Attorney?

An Enduring Power of Attorney is a legal document in which you name someone whom you trust to take control of your financial matters when you are no longer capable of making financial... Read more


What is a Will?

A Will is a legal document which sets out your wishes with respect to the distribution of your estate upon your death. Your estate is comprised of your assets, for example, your personal... Read more


Protecting Your Interests

DEBT COLLECTION HINTS Where to go from here? You have politely requested, threatened, begged and pleaded for repayment of monies rightfully due and owing to you, but nothing is working. I thought I... Read more


Great Landlord Tips: Do This First!

Hints to Landlords from the get go! To facilitate success in the event of a tenant dispute When initially having the prospective tenant complete an application, please ensure they provide complete information for references,... Read more


Required Materials To Effectively Assist Landlords In RTDRS Disputes

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text] Landlord Disputes You have had the unpleasant experience of renting to a tenant who has breached the terms of the lease agreement by failing to pay rent or by breaching other terms... Read more


Uncontested Divorce

INFORMATION FOR UNCONTESTED DIVORCES Refer to ourDivorce & Family Law page for the definition of what a 'Uncontested Divorce' is? Often there are children involved in a divorce and the issue of child support... Read more